This month we take a look at the QRISK cardiovascular risk calculator as featured on the Welltech Health assessing system. The QRISK brings together multiple risk factors and estimates the risk of a person developing CVD over the next 10 years. Although clinically validated, the QRISK can be a useful tool for preventative testing such as corporate health checks, MOT’s and even fitness testing – referring to GP’s where required and signposting to relevant lifestyle information as appropriate.
Our software seamlessly collects the relevant data , produces an easy to interpret report , signposts , GP refers and encourages positive health choices !
What is the QRISK Score ?
The QRISK score estimates the risk of a person developing CVD over the next 10 years and has been specifically developed by doctors and academics for use in the UK.
The original research underpinning QRISK® was published in July 2007 in the British Medical Journal and in January 2008 in Heart journal. The original research underpinning version 2 of QRISK® (QRISK®2) has been published in the British Medical Journal in June 2008.
The research was done using the QResearch anonymised medical research database which consists of the electronic health records of over 10 million patients registered with 550 general practices using the EMIS clinical computer system of whom 2 million contributed to the QResearch database.
Cardiovascular disease is a term used by doctors to refer to a collection of diseases such as:
• Transient ischaemic attack
• Myocardial infarction or heart attacks
What does 10 year risk of cardiovascular disease mean and why is it important?
• 10 year risk of cardiovascular disease means the risk of someone developing cardiovascular disease over the next ten years.
• If someone has a 10 year QRISK®2 score of 20% then in a crowd of 100 people like them, on average 20 people would get cardiovascular disease over the next 10 years. Or put another way, they have a ‘one in five’ chance of getting cardiovascular disease over the next 10 years.
What is the difference between QRISK®2 and the traditional Framingham score?
The QRISK®2 score contains many of the traditional risk factors included in Framingham (such as age, sex, cholesterol/HDL ratio blood pressure, diabetes and smoking status) but also contains important additional risk factors:
• Self-assigned ethnicity
• Family History of premature coronary heart disease in a first degree relative under the age of 60
• Deprivation (measured using the Townsend deprivation score)
• Blood Pressure Treatment
• Body Mass Index
• Rheumatoid Arthritis
• Chronic Kidney Disease
• Atrial Fibrillation
Why is it important to measure HDL cholesterol in order to get the best estimate of CVD risk?
• It is the ratio of total cholesterol to HDL cholesterol that is the best predictor of risk, better than either total cholesterol or HDL cholesterol alone.
• Someone with a total cholesterol of 7.5mmols/l and an HDL cholesterol of 1.8mmols/l has a ratio of 4.2 which is associated with a considerably lower risk than someone with a total cholesterol of 5.8mmols/l and an HDL of 0.8 (ratio 7.2)
Using the QRISK feature within Welltech Health Assessing Software
1. On-line Booking
Client books appointments with WT online booking system. Create your slot time, add breaks and scheduled your day.
2. Pre-Assessment Data Collection
Client to fill in all pre-assessment data online before the consultation saving time. This is either completed straight after the booking or via a link which can be sent via email or added your website. The following data is collected;
- Personal details such as name, dob, ethnicity
- Personal medical history
- Family history
Add physical data
- Blood Pressure
- Cholesterol and HDL ratio
- HbA1c or Glucose (optional)
QRISK Score and Future CVR Risk Tool
- The score will automatically show on the report and onscreen providing all data is completed and it is selected on the template.
- You can then use the dynamic future CVR calculator to see if the risk can be reduced in the future by suggesting positive lifestyle modifications within their control ie reduction on BP , Chol , HDL ratio .
GP referral and Signposting
- The system will also automatically tag the GP referral box if Cholesterol, Glucose or BP are high
- Before generating the report make sure select fact sheets and you can also refer to the GP ( urgent or non urgent)
- Print or email report for client, see example WellTech Full Health Assessment Report
- Aggregated reports can also be produced for company analysis.
Not using our software yet ? – Get a FREE WellTech Trial
Our 30-day free trial allows full access to the system, to sign up please fill in your details on our enquiry form.
Several training options are available depending on which package you choose. Our training academy, based near Leamington Spa, offers courses covering various topics and equipment with software. Alternatively, we can run online sessions or would be happy to visit you. More Info
More information about the QRISK can be found here https://www.qrisk.org
Contact WellTech on 0800 130 33 70 or us firstname.lastname@example.org